Before starting your library research, you need a clear understanding of your assignment prompt. Make sure you understand the requirements for your assignment:
- Topic - do you have an assigned topic, or can you pick your own?
- Format - what form will your finished assignment be (paper, annotated bibliography, speech, video, or something else)?
- Length - how many pages or words do you need to write, or how long is your presentation?
- Types of Sources - do you need specific types of sources (scholarly journals, books, etc.)?
- Time - when is the assignment due, and how much time do you have to research?
- Currency - is the currency of information important?
- Style - is the paper following a specific formatting/citation style (MLA, APA, Chicago, or something else)?
- Questions - consult with your instructor if you have any questions about the assignment requirements.